Friday, May 28, 2010

Truths of Adulthood

In the Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin comes up with 12 pieces of wisdom that she calls "The Truths of Adulthood." Basically, these are things she has come to realize as she has gotten older. Last night, I started scribbling down some of my own truths of adulthood and this is what I came up with:

- It's normal and ok to fail.
- People don't notice your mistakes as much as you do.
- The greatest joy comes from giving others hope and reassurance.
- You're always more loved than you realize.
- Your abilities are stronger than you know.
- At the end of the day, it's not as big of a deal as you think.
- It's the little things that make the biggest impact.
- You still have more to learn.
- You're not right nearly as much of the time as you think.
- A nurturing spirit is a healing spirit.
- Complaints breed contempt, a thankful word breeds appreciation.
- Giving advice isn't as important as a listening ear.

These are things I struggle to practice sometimes, but I firmly believe they're true. What are your truths of adulthood? Try scribbling some down. Once you get started, you'll be surprised to see what comes out.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I must say I am impressed. I was not nearly that enlightened when I was your age. Isn't that book good?
    I will be smiling with you this weekend!! ♥

    ReplyDelete